NETWORK VULNERABILITY ASSESSMENTS
Vulnerability assessments are an evaluation of an organization’s hardware, software, and procedures against a list of known vulnerabilities and best practices.
The assessment may expose network vulnerabilities and holes in your security that could leave an open door for hackers. A Network Vulnerability Assessment should also be performed on an ongoing basis as new threats arise and hackers find additional ways to break into systems.
Network Vulnerability Assessments aren’t always just a “nice to have” type of resource. Depending on your industry, you may be required to perform vulnerability assessments to remain compliant. For example, PCI and HIPAA require assessments to ensure that you are protecting your customers’ information and sensitive data.
Depending on your network’s unique vulnerabilities, the results of your scan and process may look different. However, you can ask our team to focus on some of these tasks to get started:
- Identifying and prioritizing network threats
- Analyzing router and WiFi passwords for vulnerabilities
- Reviewing your organization’s network strength against common attacks including Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS), Man-in-the-Middle attack (MITM), and Network Intrusion
- Analyzing your routers, switches, and computers for device security
Although vulnerability assessment tools can help identify security flaws, they can’t determine which loopholes can cause damage and which can’t. That’s why penetration tests are crucial to purposefully, but ethically, exploit vulnerabilities and identify which ones are threats.
A penetration test may involve:
- Using social engineering techniques such as impersonating a manager and asking an employee for a password in order to gain access to a database or other system
- Intercepting and using unencrypted passwords sent over the network
- Sending phishing emails to users to gain access to accounts
Network Vulnerability Assessment testing and reporting is not a one-time process. Your company should establish a culture of security that focuses on the ongoing safety of your business.
Although a Network Vulnerability Assessment takes some time and resources, Network Vulnerability Management is ultra cost-effective and will alleviate the financial burden of dealing with a hack that could have been prevented simply by knowing your network’s weaknesses.